Suffolk (city) County VA Information
Suffolk (city) County VA Data & Demographics (As of July 1, 2020)
|Total Population ||96,375 (100%) |
|Population in Households ||95,383 (99.0%) |
|Population in Families ||81,964 (85.0%) |
|Population in Group Quarters1 ||992 ( 1.0%) |
|Population Density ||241 |
|Diversity Index2 ||61 |
|Median Household Income ||$73,917 |
|Average Household Income ||$93,128 |
|% of Income for Mortgage4 || 15% |
|Per Capita Income ||$34,062 |
|Wealth Index5 ||105 |
|Total HU (Housing Units) ||37,993 (100%) |
|Owner Occupied HU ||22,907 (60.3%) |
|Renter Occupied HU ||12,329 (32.5%) |
|Vacant Housing Units ||2,757 ( 7.3%) |
|Median Home Value ||$262,651 |
|Average Home Value ||$296,523 |
|Housing Affordability Index3 ||153 |
|Total Households ||35,236 |
|Average Household Size ||2.71 |
|Family Households ||26,109 |
|Average Family Size ||3 |
GROWTH RATE / YEAR
|2010-2020 ||2020-2025 |
|Population ||1.28% ||1.27% |
|Households ||1.3% ||1.27% |
|Families ||1.19% ||1.19% |
|Median Household Income || ||1.06% |
|Per Capita Income || ||1.69% |
|Owner Occupied HU || ||1.15% |
Suffolk (city) County VA - Peer Comparisons by Rank and Percentile
The table below compares Suffolk (city) County to the other 133 counties / independent cities and county equivalents in Virginia by rank and percentile using July 1, 2020 data. The location Ranked # 1 has the highest value. A location that ranks higher than 75% of its peers would be in the 75th percentile of the peer group.
|Variable Description ||Rank ||Percentile |
|Total Population ||# 20 ||86th |
|Population Density ||# 50 ||63rd |
|Median Household Income ||# 27 ||80th |
|Housing Affordability Index ||# 56 ||42nd |
|Per Capita Income ||# 36 ||74th |
|Diversity Index ||# 27 ||80th |
Additional comparisons and rankings can be made with a VERY EASY TO USE Virginia Census Data Comparison Tool.
Quick & Easy Ways to...
- Get Current Demographic Data for Cities, Towns, and ZIP Codes
- View Boundary Maps, for Cities, Towns, and ZIP Codes
- Locate Physical, Cultural, and Historical Features
Virginia Census Data Comparison Tool
More Tools and Resources:
- For information about schools and school attendance zones, use the HTL Address Tool
- Our new HTL Neighborhood Explorer provides lots of detail about any neighborhood.
- The new 2-Minute Introduction and Concise Guide to Big Data which will help you make the most effective use of HomeTownLocator Tools.
- See the References & Data Sources page for more information about methodology and sources of data.
- See the Virginia COVID-19 Data and US COVID-19 Data for more information on the spread of the novel coronavirus.