Petersburg (city) County VA Information
Petersburg (city) County VA Data & Demographics (As of July 1, 2020)
|Total Population ||31,962 (100%) |
|Population in Households ||31,075 (97.2%) |
|Population in Families ||22,414 (70.1%) |
|Population in Group Quarters1 ||887 ( 2.8%) |
|Population Density ||1,394 |
|Diversity Index2 ||45 |
|Median Household Income ||$33,894 |
|Average Household Income ||$47,160 |
|% of Income for Mortgage4 || 14% |
|Per Capita Income ||$20,112 |
|Wealth Index5 || 34 |
|Total HU (Housing Units) ||16,629 (100%) |
|Owner Occupied HU ||4,961 (29.8%) |
|Renter Occupied HU ||8,615 (51.8%) |
|Vacant Housing Units ||3,053 (18.4%) |
|Median Home Value ||$116,180 |
|Average Home Value ||$155,715 |
|Housing Affordability Index3 ||152 |
|Total Households ||13,576 |
|Average Household Size ||2.29 |
|Family Households ||7,513 |
|Average Family Size ||3 |
GROWTH RATE / YEAR
|2010-2020 ||2020-2025 |
|Population ||-0.14% ||-0.43% |
|Households ||-0.04% ||-0.41% |
|Families ||-0.24% ||-0.55% |
|Median Household Income || ||0.67% |
|Per Capita Income || ||1.46% |
|Owner Occupied HU || ||-0.34% |
Petersburg (city) County VA - Peer Comparisons by Rank and Percentile
The table below compares Petersburg (city) County to the other 133 counties / independent cities and county equivalents in Virginia by rank and percentile using July 1, 2020 data. The location Ranked # 1 has the highest value. A location that ranks higher than 75% of its peers would be in the 75th percentile of the peer group.
|Variable Description ||Rank ||Percentile |
|Total Population ||# 56 ||59th |
|Population Density ||# 28 ||80th |
|Median Household Income ||# 127 ||5th |
|Housing Affordability Index ||# 54 ||41st |
|Per Capita Income ||# 123 ||8th |
|Diversity Index ||# 67 ||50th |
Additional comparisons and rankings can be made with a VERY EASY TO USE Virginia Census Data Comparison Tool.
Quick & Easy Ways to...
- Get Current Demographic Data for Cities, Towns, and ZIP Codes
- View Boundary Maps, for Cities, Towns, and ZIP Codes
- Locate Physical, Cultural, and Historical Features
Virginia Census Data Comparison Tool
More Tools and Resources:
- For information about schools and school attendance zones, use the HTL Address Tool
- Our new HTL Neighborhood Explorer provides lots of detail about any neighborhood.
- The new 2-Minute Introduction and Concise Guide to Big Data which will help you make the most effective use of HomeTownLocator Tools.
- See the References & Data Sources page for more information about methodology and sources of data.
- See the Virginia COVID-19 Data and US COVID-19 Data for more information on the spread of the novel coronavirus.