Bedford County VA Information
Bedford County VA Data & Demographics (As of July 1, 2020)
|Total Population ||79,225 (100%) |
|Population in Households ||78,674 (99.3%) |
|Population in Families ||66,454 (83.9%) |
|Population in Group Quarters1 ||551 ( 0.7%) |
|Population Density ||104 |
|Diversity Index2 ||25 |
|Median Household Income ||$61,311 |
|Average Household Income ||$79,101 |
|% of Income for Mortgage4 || 15% |
|Per Capita Income ||$31,772 |
|Wealth Index5 || 90 |
|Total HU (Housing Units) ||37,347 (100%) |
|Owner Occupied HU ||25,204 (67.5%) |
|Renter Occupied HU ||6,608 (17.7%) |
|Vacant Housing Units ||5,535 (14.8%) |
|Median Home Value ||$226,308 |
|Average Home Value ||$278,651 |
|Housing Affordability Index3 ||162 |
|Total Households ||31,812 |
|Average Household Size ||2.47 |
|Family Households ||22,872 |
|Average Family Size ||3 |
GROWTH RATE / YEAR
|2010-2020 ||2020-2025 |
|Population ||0.55% ||0.54% |
|Households ||0.54% ||0.53% |
|Families ||0.42% ||0.44% |
|Median Household Income || ||1.06% |
|Per Capita Income || ||1.61% |
|Owner Occupied HU || ||0.56% |
Bedford County VA - Peer Comparisons by Rank and Percentile
The table below compares Bedford County to the other 133 counties / independent cities and county equivalents in Virginia by rank and percentile using July 1, 2020 data. The location Ranked # 1 has the highest value. A location that ranks higher than 75% of its peers would be in the 75th percentile of the peer group.
|Variable Description ||Rank ||Percentile |
|Total Population ||# 26 ||81st |
|Population Density ||# 68 ||50th |
|Median Household Income ||# 43 ||68th |
|Housing Affordability Index ||# 72 ||54th |
|Per Capita Income ||# 45 ||67th |
|Diversity Index ||# 107 ||20th |
Additional comparisons and rankings can be made with a VERY EASY TO USE Virginia Census Data Comparison Tool.
Quick & Easy Ways to...
- Get Current Demographic Data for Cities, Towns, and ZIP Codes
- View Boundary Maps, for Cities, Towns, and ZIP Codes
- Locate Physical, Cultural, and Historical Features
Virginia Census Data Comparison Tool
More Tools and Resources:
- For information about schools and school attendance zones, use the HTL Address Tool
- Our new HTL Neighborhood Explorer provides lots of detail about any neighborhood.
- The new 2-Minute Introduction and Concise Guide to Big Data which will help you make the most effective use of HomeTownLocator Tools.
- See the References & Data Sources page for more information about methodology and sources of data.
- See the Virginia COVID-19 Data and US COVID-19 Data for more information on the spread of the novel coronavirus.